Thursday, April 10, 2014

Grieve With Hope

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope."


Christians are weird. We have hope and joy even the death of a fellow believer, even one that is close to us. It's so easy to focus on what we have lost. This is not a bad reaction- it's a natural one. When you lose someone you've known and loved your entire life, not feeling sorrow and pain is perhaps the most unnatural of human experiences. 
But we grieve with hope- hope twofold. Hope that the one we have lost now gazes into the Savior's face, and hope that we will one day join them. And hope is not wishful thinking; it is expectant certainty. 
I know that my grandfather now gazes into the eyes of the risen Savior, and that makes me a little jealous. 
As well it should. 
Lost people grieve without hope because death has the final say. But over the eternity of a son or daughter of the King, death has not the final say. Christ holds them and promises a resurrection imperishable. That's the hope of believers. 
While my family mourns, we set an example. We know that my grandfather now stands before God, a sinner redeemed by grace and experiencing the joy of God's presence- and that looks different. It confuses those who have no hope. It even surprises fellow believers. But by no means is it easy. 

I talked with several folks over the weekend who told me "my entire family came to know the Lord because we knew your grandfather." What do you do with that? How do you respond? All praise and glory be to the Lord for saving that family, but how do you respond to that reality? 
I can't even begin to describe how richly God has blessed our family with the life of my grandfather. The number of lives God changed through him is amazing. Over 400 people attended either his visitation or memorial service, and more than likely there were hundreds more who would have but couldn't. My guess is that if you live to be almost 86, you meet your fair share of people. His life bore the mark of someone who had been blessed beyond measure- blessed with eternal life, blessed with talent, blessed with a uniquely strong work ethic. And that was evident.

I am tremendously proud to be his grandson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment