Saturday, September 14, 2013

Parents...Are They Avoiding Me?

I get the sneaking suspicion that my parents are having fun without me at home. Hey, guys- I'm the baby, remember? You're supposed to be bawling your eyes out because I'm all grown up and gone! I know of times where I've called my dad, and he has, on purpose, not picked up.  I've asked him for advice, and he's simply said "do what you think is right" or "I'm going to leave that one up to you."

I think most parents today would consider that cruel and unusual.

I wouldn't have it any other way
I have no interest in being cottled and guided through my college years. If college is supposed to be a time to become who you're going to be for the rest of your life, then I want to be in charge of that. Now don't get me wrong- I don't hate my parents. I have the utmost respect for them and love them dearly. But if parents are dead set on being as integral in their kids' lives in college as they were in years 0-18, then their kids will never grow up. It's time for me to learn how to make my own decisions- after all, that's what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. Years 0-18, I had to rely on my parents. If I continue to rely completely on my parents throughout my adult life, that greatly decreases the ability of others to rely on me. There's something to be said for adults who can stand their own and provide for others. More often than not, you'll find, I think, that their parents allowed them to grow up on their own.

So Mom and Dad-
Thanks or 18 years of training. I look forward to taking the training wheels off with you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, E! I hope that, one day, you will have the awesome privilege of watching your kids grow up into independent, courageous, godly men and women. I am SO thankful that I get to! Your proud and humbled Dad...

    ReplyDelete