Friday, September 13, 2013

Challenges

Perhaps the most difficult challenge I've faced on campus so far is finding trustworthy friends who care for me. When I first moved in, I knew probably one person on campus- and they weren't even a student. Most of the people on my floor had their circle of friends from high school who all came to Mizzou, and they were hunky-Dory.

Me, not so much,

Making friends has been a challenge. I was not very proactive about making friends for awhile- but I soon found out that a college experience without friends is like a finger without a fingernail- functional, but really no fun.
Ok, bad analogy. But it makes sense, right?

Anyways, as it turns out, I know more people here than I thought I did. And to put a nice big cherry on top of that sundae, they know Jesus. What an encouragement! I've gotten to spend a little time with them, and those times have been the most enjoyable of my experience so far. I've also made some friends at RUF (BTW kudos to the upper classpeople who hang out with freshmen like me). 

All to say this:
God placed a challenge in my path. Coming to college, He took away my social circle. This, in turn, has forced me to step outside my comfort zone and make new friends. By doing this, I have learned two things:
1. Trusting God with the outcome of a situation is the most sensible thing to do. EVER. PERIOD. God knows what He's doing, even when it doesn't seem like it. Maybe there's something to be said for letting Jesus Take the Wheel...
2. There are so many opportunities that await you- if you only go looking for them. Adventure, challenge, success, growth- VERY rarely do they all converge in one place, and even more rarely do they come and find you. Stepping beyond your area of normalcy and taking a leap of faith is not only necessary sometimes- it can also be healthy for you.

So take comfort in what He's doing in your life- after all...
He knows your name
He knows your every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And hears you when you call

How can I help but trust a God like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment