Friday, September 20, 2013

Subtweets

I wish I was chicken enough to subtweet. 

My Twitter feed is now flooded with people making vague statements about life. They're directed at individuals, but I usually can't tell who it is (unless it's glaringly obvious). Things like "I trusted you and this is what you do to me?" or, "I'm standing here, waiting, and you can't bother to look my way." Catch my drift?

Good. Now I can rant about them.
I think subtweets are nothing short of relational cowardice. If you subtweet, don't. Afford the other person the opportunity to find out how you feel from YOU, not your Facebook status.

Ok, I'm done.

Wait, no I'm not.

Aren't our minds constantly swimming with subtweets? We're constantly thinking things about other people that we wouldn't say to their face. We're sinful. It's what we do.

Now I'm not saying we should TELL someone we hate them. We shouldn't hate them at all. The problem lies not with how we tell people our thoughts, but with what we think of people in the first place. I struggle with this every day. A million little things impact what I think of someone, how I treat them.
Our thoughts are the most potent way in which the devil attacks us, because sin of the mind is the easiest to conceal and thus the hardest to overcome. 
Colossians 3:1-2 tells us to "set our minds on things above, where Christ is." 
That, I think, is the cure for the Subtweeting Syndrome. Set your mind on Christ- don't occupy it with what you think are other people's problems. 
Ironically, that's also the sure fire way to overcome sin of the mind. Where Christ is, sin cannot be. Pretty sure your mind counts for that, too.


1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure it's okay to feel admonished by your child of 18 years. Not the Subtweeting part - you Keller children won't let me have Twitter. Probs a Good Thing. FB is enough. The subtweet of the mind - now that's a different thing. Age has no regard for the sinful heart. We age we grow wiser, true. Well, hopefully. But some sins plague us until we leave this place and go home. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to think on this issue. For stretching me - as a brother in Christ.

    ReplyDelete