Monday, November 18, 2013

MIND. BLOWN.

I'm not sure why I brought all those books to college.
Sure, it'd be a great witnessing segue to have someone come into my room and see MacArthur, Piper, and DeYoung all in a line on my bookshelf and ask why I had all these "Christian books." But honestly, that was about as useful as they all got.
Until last week.
You know something's wrong with your spiritual life when you don't read the Bible (or read books about the Bible) until you're bored. That means you have a priority crisis, or "a heart problem", as my mother says.
It was last Tuesday, after a long day of work and studying that I was brain-dead. I needed a break- BADLY.
So what do I do?
I start reading a book whether the theanthropic Jesus primarily lived out his divinity or his humanity while here on earth. And I thought my head was about to explode.
Bruce Ware's The Man Christ Jesus was the perfect book for me to pick up. This was thick stuff, but I loved it. It was an entirely different perspective on the person of Jesus Christ that I had never seen before. All the things Jesus did, like growing in wisdom, resisting temptation, growing in faith- Ware concludes that Jesus did these things not out of the omniscience and omnipotence of his divinity, but through his humanity, being indwelt by the Spirit of God. At the end of the book he makes this point- since the same Spirit that resided in the person of Christ also resides in all true believers, we have the ability to grow in wisdom, resist temptation, grow in faith. Granted, Jesus did all of these things perfectly (which we could never do), but that same power resides in us, enabling us to do these very same things.
MIND. BLOWN.
There I was, lying face-down in the middle of the hallway outside my door, half asleep at 3 AM, hood up, looking like a homeless person- and loving every second of it.
Never in my life have I had such a mental overload.
Never in my life has a mental overload felt so good.
I was so encouraged by this truth, one I had overlooked so easily. "Full steam ahead" was a curse for me. I was so dead-set on making it through this semester (academically, mentally, emotionally- heck, physically) that I blocked out the Spirit's work in my life.
Thanks be to God that He reminded me of it.
For some reason, I now have this insatiable desire to read all these books collecting dust on my shelf- almost to the point where I forego homework and studying to read them (is that bad?). I know that this is the Spirit doing a work in my life, and I want more of it. Sometimes, it seems like I can't live this busy life and be transformed by the Spirit. But then I'm reminded;
The only way I can live this life is by being transformed by the Spirit. 


Funny how things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment